- Bright hues have proved to be a huge hair color trend in 2011 and 2012. Celebrities including Kate Bosworth, Avril Lavigne, Carrie Underwood, Pink and Rihanna have hit the red carpet in streaks, bright dyes, washes of pastels and dip-dye looks.
- Ombré is a French word that literally means “shaded like a gradient.” Roots remain dark while the rest of the hair becomes lighter mid-shaft using a balayage technique.
- “Bronde” hair is that perfect shade between blonde and brunette that was first made popular back in 2007 by supermodel Gisele Bundchen (pictured here). Many natural brunette celebrities have gone the “bronde”
- “Balayage” when hair is colored with the balayage process, the highlights are painted on by hand in a sweeping motion which moves from the base to the tip of the hair. At the base, the color is applied very lightly, while at the tip, the color is very heavy. The result is a chunky highlight which looks naturally sunbleached, and as the hair grows out, the root will be concealed for the first few months by the thinner color applied to the base of the hair.
- Platinum blonde hair remains popular going into 2012. Keeping hair this blonde is high maintenance, however, and won’t suit all skin tones.
Read more about hair color: Hair Color